Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bakerista

As I've mentioned, my "new" (January) Seva is in the bakery, and I so so love working there.

Cooking and baking are two of my great creative loves, and I don't think I even realized how much I missed them until I got into the bakery and started creating again.

It makes me so happy; I have a new energy, a spring in my step, and feel like I'm in a beautiful flow of creativity. People have actually told me I look different!

I work 8-4, five days a week, but it doesn't even really feel like work. I leave with more energy than I went in with. We have a really nice space to work in with a gorgeous wooden table to work bread on, a giant oven, and a giant mixer...

My supervisor Hedley is awesome and lets me and River (the other volunteer baker - see above with handfuls of icing) experiment when our regular work is done. I've been having a lot of fun making vegan, raw and gluten-free stuff, and generally being creative.

The only thing that's hard about the bakery is the list. We have a list of things to do each day, and you'd think that would be nice for my brain, but Hedley likes to mess with me by crossing things off the list while I'm doing them! UNacceptable! We have an ongoing competition to sneakily cross off the other's work before they get a chance.

Overall, I'm learning a lot about bread and pastry and even find it easy not to eat too much sugar or gluten while I'm working. Sunday marked the end of my sugar- & gluten-free month and it went really well (lost another 10 lbs! geez) I noticed a distinct evenness in the quality and quantity of my energy throughout the month and feel really healthy and happy here at Kripalu.

And then: So You Want to be a Kripalu Volunteer?

2 comments:

Jaya said...

oh, I'm excited about this one:
And then: So You Want to be a Kripalu Volunteer?
:-)
~love from your roomie

nbadach said...

Ali, it's Nancy from Buffalo (blue-eyed Cancer Mon). I am enjoying your blog. I lucked out reading about the graves of some of my favorite authors AND your time in the bakery. lovely meeting you at Kripalu.